Hurricane Season in Here!
Posted on Jul 24th, 2020
As Americans focus our attention on a safe and healthy reopening of our country, it remains critically important that as Florida residents, we also remember to make the necessary preparations for hurricane season which began on June 1st.
Take time now to prepare for an emergency and potentially catastrophic damage. Take steps to minimize damage to your home and property as well as the homes and properties of your neighbors.
We’ve compiled a list of helpful links to aid neighbors in preparing for hurricane season.
Preparations to complete before hurricane season:
- Sign up for emergency alerts specific to Lake County.
- Build an emergency supply kit. Include non-perishable foods & water, as well as plywood and other materials to protect your home. For a printable checklist of most needed items, visit:
- Print a tracking map
- Get an insurance checkup on home, vehicles etc.
- Check for flood insurance and information
- Clear gutters, trim trees/shrubs/bushes, remove debris from yards
- Identify evacuation routes and shelters (don’t forget to plan for pets!)
- Create an emergency plan and communicate it to friends/family so that you know how to get ahold of one another if needed.
For specific information regarding how to prepare during a hurricane watch, hurricane warning and what to do during a storm please refer to the following links:
The National Weather Service and NOAA have compiled a wealth of materials and activities to help educate and discuss severe weather (including hurricanes) with kids and teens here:
Check in with your neighbors and help the elderly or others who may need assistance getting prepared ahead of a storm. Consider exchanging phone numbers and contact information so that you have them in the event of an emergency.
Together, we can weather any storms.